Thursday, October 30, 2014

Together Wherever We Go!

Wherever we go, whatever we do,
we're gonna go through it together.
We may not go far, but sure as a star,
wherever we are, it's together.*


This business is tough! There are days when we want to give up and there are times when we get in our own way.



  • Do you have a list of things you need to do but somehow always manage to put them off?
  • Are you waiting for that certain piece of footage before you finish your reel?
  • Do you skip auditions because you are waiting for that perfect monologue?
  • Do your friends seem to be having more success than you?
  • Are you stuck in a rut?

Sometimes things come in threes when one thing is not enough to get through to us! Monday was that day for me.


Ah, Facebook is my first port of call in the morning.  And I saw the wonderful Heidi Marshall's blog about how we cope with these difficult times. I admire Heidi so much and she always seems so positive so it was comforting to read about her struggling too. In tough times, she uses crayons! 


And then this leapt out at me too. On Facebook, of course! Maybe I'll read a book again one day soon but I'm so busy reading all these online gems and playing Candy Crush.


"People's lives are a direct reflection of the expectations of their peer group. If your peer group doesn't expect much, it's just a matter of time before you lower your expectations of yourself." Anthony Robbins


And then, best of all, I left my tiny apartment and met my good friend and fellow actress, Fiona Graham. We ate a diner breakfast and talked and talked and laughed and put the world to rights. Obviously, we talk about acting and the business because we have that (amongst other things) in common. We were commiserating on how tough it can be and something really struck me about what Fiona said: "We have to be fierce warriors. We have to be so strong and able to take blow after blow. But we are also so sensitive and vulnerable."


YES, that's it. And, for my two cents, the actors who are not sensitive and vulnerable, are not the ones I like to watch!


Through thick and through thin,
all out or all in.
And whether it's win, place or show.
With you for me and me for you,
we'll muddle through whatever we do.
Together, wherever we go.

Wherever we go, whatever we do,
we're gonna go through it together.*


Obviously, we cannot physically go everywhere together (although at some of these EPAs it is great to have a friend to sit and laugh with during the interminable waiting and deal with all the other girls in the same teal dress and nude pumps).


We need a support network, though. I have good friends and a brilliant family but that is not always enough. Talking to people who are going through what you are going through is what matters. A friend recently told me that she loved seeing me because it was so much FUN but it was also PRODUCTIVE. 

I have started accountability groups with The Actor's Friend.  A safe place where I can be kind and supportive but am also known for giving you the kick that you might need! 


Wherever I go I know he goes.
Wherever I go I know she goes.
No fits, no fights, no feuds
and no egos, Amigos, together!




Though business is lousy and slow.
With Herbie's vim, Louise's verve,
Now all we need is someone with nerve.
Together, wherever,
Together, wherever we go!*


I may not have people called Herbie and Louise in my classes yet, but I can hope.  And I think you ALL have NERVE!  All we need is a little support to use it in the right way.


Join a supportive group of like-minded actors and be a super trouper!




*"Together Wherever We Go" from "Gypsy"

Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim

www.theactorsfriend.com

No comments:

Post a Comment