Monday, May 27, 2013

Children Will Listen


First posted by Polly McKie on Wednesday, March 27, 2013


Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see
And learn

I spend hours scanning casting notices: Actors’ Equity, Playbill, Backstage, NYCastings, Actors’ Access.  I search, I read and filter what I am right for.  I did not search for this one, it found me!
Voiceover: female, Scottish 50s or 60s.  Must be real Scottish person, not someone doing an accent.  My inbox was flooded with friends sending me the notice.  Let me be clear, I am not in my 50s or 60s, but I’m an actress.  I can sound whatever age you want me to be! I submitted and was given an appointment (not always a fait accompli).  I went to the studio on the day and it sounded as if I’d walked into “Brigadoon”.  No bad thing.  And let’s face it, a casting notice like that probably appears every hundred years.
The waiting room was full of fellow Scots.  There was a notice advising us to think about telling a story to children. And another saying “Think Mrs. Doubtfire”.  Obviously, because Mrs. Doubtfire was a true Scot, not putting on an accent. I’d better not get started on the fact that at the end of that film he/she is said to be from an island called England.  That would be a whole other blog (with the title “ignorance”).

Children may not obey
But children will listen
Children will look to you for which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say, "Listen to me"
Children will listen

Anyway, my turn came and I was taken into a little studio.  Then I was put in a tiny sound booth and I put on my headphones and I felt cool.  I was asked to read the copy as if reading to a small child.  I immediately imagined reading to my little niece Tess.  Then I was asked to do a second take as if I were telling the story to an older child.  I then imagined my nephew, Jock.  I am blessed to have vast experience in telling stories.  I am Aunt Polly to 6 nephews and 4 nieces.
I booked the job.  And am the voice of the digital book of “Brave”. 

Click the picture to listen to Polly read the Brave audiobook



I received some lovely messages saying how much people enjoyed me in the film.  Some good friends thought I was Merida’s mother!  I was not.  That was Emma Thompson!  But I’ll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment